3 Idiots..

All is Well...!!! 
3 very simple words..but suddenly they have a different enthusiasm ...a different joy to them! Yes! Rajkumar Hirani has spread the magic once again...


x



When I first heard the title of the movie - I didn't even give it a second thought.. But on finding out that it was based on Chetan Bhagat's - Five Point Someone, I had to see it.. My sisters were coaxing me to read that book when I went to India in 2007..But I didn't get a chance to do so. On my last trip we got 2 of Bhagat's books and I had recently read both..  So really wanted to see how the crew of 3 Idiots had put together the movie..Needless to say, a lot was same & different in the movie. Without getting into the controversy the movie crew & the author was having recently - I would say - the movie was atleast 70% based on the book.. A good adaptation..Lot less subtle than the book..But then which Bollywood movie doesn't need a larger-than-life plot to reach the hearts of its die-hard audience??!!.. 

I am not sure I liked all songs in the movie so much...At least not as much as the most popular one..One day while driving back home my husband wanted to play this song.. I was kind of annoyed at first, thinking why in the world's name do we want to talk about a Murgi and Bakra in a song!! But after watching the movie - I loved the song like anything! The whole concept of the 1 small line had a different meaning altogether! The story behind it..The way our favorite Amir Khan tells it ..it just makes so much sense! There are so many times in our lives when we just want to run away from the situations in front of us being scared to death.. The situations may/may not be that bad..But our scary heart makes us believe that they are...At those times we really "need" to console our heart that things will eventually be fine - no matter how hard/bad they come across.. The song...the situation everything combined just touches on that human emotion very tactfully and if I can say..very strategically!! Of course, Mr. Hirani wanted something to replace the all time famous Jaadu Ki Jhappi  with something as good.. And I must say - Amir Khan and the little footballer does that very nicely in the movie :-)

I got this comment from a lot of friends that the delivery scenes were not at all necessary for the movie..and the director could have used the engineers' skills & knowledge to do something else to help the girl in labor! I somehow didn't mind that so much. Of course it will be embarrassing to see it with family around..But to its justification - it was way better than all the semi-nude scenes shown in movies these days! I cried too bad during the whole labor sequence..And not once..twice! Yeah..I saw the movie twice in the matter of 1 week...and couldn't help but cry my heart out.. The kick later was simply SUPERB!!! It just made my day!! And I was so glad the movie didn't end on that teary note... It went on to a lighter sequence of scenes which makes one just as happy while getting out of the theater! So once again...All is (was) Well..!!

Amir Khan has done a very good job again.. I feel its just needless to say that about him now.. We just love his work no matter what his role is. I just felt he didn't have that significant role in this movie. He had a great ..very important character to play but somehow not a very very powerful one..You tend to get that feeling after watching his Ghajini and Taare Zameen Par..But nevertheless, he has done a wonderful job! I just hope he doesn't keep playing this protagonist in his next movies... It will be like a stereo-type in itself which I would hate to see him as..
Sharman Joshi & Madhavan were very good in their respective roles too! Sharman Joshi was just perfect for this role! Even when I was reading the book - the character that my mind drew was very close to how Joshi's body language usually is.. The Chatur guy was just too awesome! Seriously!! He played the role just fabulous!! I am not sure if he really doesn't have a great Hindi accent as it is - or he mastered it just for the movie..But he was just too good! The speech...the lingo...the accent...Very good work! And Kareena Kapoor - I felt was just Ok.. There was hardly any role for her..But whatever was there - I was glad she didn't do all those jhatkas-matkas that she usually does while speaking her script! I hated Boman Irani to the extent I felt I am looking at my own high-school Principal!! But this character was far more irritating than mine..and even the book's... So I guess Irani has done a good job playing his role in the movie..

I read a lot of reviews about the movie and a number of them talked about how the movie left a message..I am not so sure of that..somehow! It did of course convey at different times - how students - especially in India are so stressed out because of the schooling/education system there..But then I feel one needs to take a lot of things into account when commenting about the education system in India. I agree a lot of times students are just forced to mug up the material without really understanding the actual meaning.. But then how many systems don't do that at one point or the other? And even if we just be on the topic of Indian education - we are shouldn't just blame it blindly.. Over the years it has produced world-class engineers...doctors...players....mathematicians.. and so on.. So it will be entirely wrong to take the feedback from the movie that the whole system needs to be changed. First & foremost - it is not possible in one go. It will take several years of tweaking and vigorous efforts to bring out few positive changes throughout the system. But for that everybody has to put in efforts.. If parents keep paying thousands of rupees to private tutors and on the other hand schools keep teaching like 'old-school' its not going to help.. 
Anyways..I think I am dwelling too much away from the actual topic.. as usual.. So coming back to it - No. I certainly didn't find the movie a life-changing experience for the education system or the parents of these students in India.. Intelligent parents might take a hint or two from the movie - but that's about it! I just hope it is for the good...

All in All...A wonderful movie! Something that people from all generations are enjoying! And I am not surprised at all.. I loved the movie..And so did my Mom and Grand-Mom! I just hope someday I can laugh it up with my kid on You-Tube too!!  Hopefully Vidhu Vinod Chopra decides to let the movie run online for a number of years if not generations!

Till then..
Alllllll izzzz Wellllllllllllllllllll  :-)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jail - Bollywood Movie

My thoughts on the silver screen...

Once Again...Kuch Bheege Alfaaz